Teacher of Excellence
On Friday, August 14, 2020, at McEneaney Field the Bishop O’Gorman Catholic Schools’ teachers and staff celebrated the inaugural Teacher of Excellence program.
The Catholic Community Foundation was privileged to work with a family who came to the Foundation with an idea to support something that they are passionate about… BOGCS! This family, who wants to remain anonymous, is recognizing quality, high performing teachers, who go above and beyond, affirming the faith-filled, dedicated, committed, extraordinary educators who represent BOGCS.
The BOGCS principals developed criteria for excellence in teaching. Working with a consultant, they came up with a list of eight critical attributes of excellence in Catholic education that they see within the BOGCS.
- Lives our Faith-Filled Mission and Values
- Positive Relationship Builder with Students, Parents, and Staff
- Promotes Student Academic Excellence
- Selfless Team Player that Goes Above and Beyond
- Lifelong Reflective Learner
- Serves as an Educational Leader among the Staff
- Incorporates Innovative Ideas While Remaining Willing to Fail
- Dedicated to the Profession
In this inaugural year of the Teachers of Excellence program, 18 nominations were received! Eighteen educators were recognized by their colleagues. The nominators composed a nomination and enlisted others, including parents, to provide accompanying testimony of this excellence. It is important to note, the principals did not nominate any of the teachers nor did any of them provide accompanying testimony for any of the nominations.
The Selection Committee made up of retired and former Catholic school faculty members and principals reviewed each of the nominations. Collectively, over 130 years of teaching and school administration, covering both elementary and secondary levels, most of which were in Catholic schools, is reflected within the Selection Committee. Names and specific references were removed from the written testimonials so that the Committee could focus exclusively on the written content that was provided and then compare it to the eight categories and descriptors above that the principals developed.
The eighteen nominees were recognized with a certificate and a lanyard pin. They are:
- Rogene Lorang:
- Rogene is a 6th grade teacher at St. Lambert. She has 46 years of teaching experience.
- Rick Lynch:
- Rick is a Math teacher at O’Gorman High School. He has completed 37 years of service.
- Katie Postma :
- Katie teaches 2nd grade at Holy Spirit. She has completed 4 years of service.
- Katie Meert :
- Katie teaches 2nd grade at Christ the King. She has completed 9 years of service.
- Anita Hoffman:
- Anita teaches 1st grade at Saint Mary. She has completed 26 years of service.
- Melanie Kirsch:
- Melanie teaches math at O’Gorman Junior High. She has completed 29 years of service.
- Mary Grogan:
- Mary teaches 2nd grade at Saint Mary. She has completed 22 years of service.
- Jeff Gordon:
- Jeff teaches social studies at O’Gorman High School. He has completed 43 years of service.
- Kelly Brose:
- Kelly teaches Spanish at O’Gorman High School. She has completed 18 years of service.
- Ben Koch:
- Ben serves as the Director of Bands at O’Gorman High School. He has completed 8 years of service.
- LeAnn Schlotterback:
- LeAnn serves as a 3rd grade teacher at Saint Mary. She has completed 3 years of service.
- Ken Lindemann:
- Ken serves as a math teacher at O’Gorman High School. He has completed 30 years of service.
- Jill Earll:
- Jill teaches 4th grade teacher at Saint Katharine Drexel. She has completed 12 years of service.
- Kayla Schmidt:
- Kayla teaches Kindergarten at Saint Katharine Drexel. She has completed 6 years of service.
- Sarah Gaster:
- Sarah teaches 4th grade at Saint Michael. She has completed 7 years of service.
- Sheila Diercks:
- Sheila teaches 6th grade at Saint Michael. She has completed 6 years of service.
- Lana White:
- Lana teaches physical education at Saint Michael and Christ the King. She has completed 26 years of service.
- Teresa Fester:
- Teresa teaches Theater and Forensics at O’Gorman High School. She has completed 22 years of service.