- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Here's a very brief overview of what you can expect when you make chocolate chip cookies from-scratch:
1. Beat the butter and sugars, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
2. Dissolve the baking soda in hot water and add to the mixture.
3. Stir in the flour, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
4. Drop dough onto a prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake until the edges are golden brown.
In an oven preheated to 350 degrees F, the chocolate chip cookies should be perfectly baked in about 10 minutes. The edges should be golden brown and the cookies should be mostly set (they'll continue to set as the cool).